ConsideredOpinion is an on-line debating house open for anybody to argue a point of view however contentious.
It is a site for free speech, uninhibited by the constraints of anything remotely like political correctness - ideally there should be no limitations
to the topics covered or censorship of the views expressed (but see the rules below). We would like it to be a focus for informed opinion.
It will provide a voting system which will show how much support there is for any proposition argued and how that support is influenced by subsequent arguments.
There will be the absolute minimum of rules:
- Only registered members can view the site content. Only active members can contribute to the content.
- Every member must accept that any view expressed is the personal view of the writer of that view and will in no way hold ConsideredOpinion
responsible for the view.
- ConsideredOpinion reserves the right to remove any view expressed if, in its absolute judgement, it believes it is right to do so.
- You may not use the site for your own advertising purposes.
In using the site we ask that you bear in mind the following:
- Be polite. Do not use obscenities or profanities or indulge in malicious personal attacks.
- Remember that you are always subject to the laws of the land. Do not say anything that goes counter to the law.
- Keep to the point. Please don't confuse by wandering off the subject under discussion.
- Please write in English and try to be reasonably grammatical. It all helps understanding.
Two final points:
- In the interests of anonymity every member will be identified by a 'nom-de-plume' (user name) of their own choice. This is firstly to ensure that an article
is judged on the merits of the case it makes, not the credentials of the writer and secondly to ensure that views can be expressed without fear of any repercussions.
- There will be a nominal membership fee. This is firstly to make people think twice before submitting a contribution to the site in the hope that it will discourage the
ill-considered, one-line, response that blights other sites and secondly to discourage any temptation to influence the voting results by making multiple registrations purely
for the purpose of submitting votes.
The Technical Nitty Gritty of using the Site
- Before you can do anything, you must register. Go to 'Register' and follow the instructions.
- Once registered, you can read all of the articles and arguments posted by fellow members. The 'search key' will help you find topics that interest you.
- If you would like to send us a response to any of the debates going on within the site you must become an 'Active Member'. Go to 'Join' and follow the instructions.
- To send us a response, please complete it in draft first and then submit it in one go, in its final glorious form, when you are happy with it.
- As an Active Member you are entitled to a vote on any live proposition on the site. Go to the end of the debate you are interested in and record your vote.
You can change that vote at any time you wish.
- Should we decide that a contribution you make should be removed, we will send you an email to let you know what we have done. We will not enter into a discussion about our reasons.